Saturday, September 10, 2011

This weekend we remember...

My Facebook status says "Andi Murphy read a story saying 9/11 was the worst attack on U.S. soil. It's not. Remember the Indian Wars? Whole villages, towns and tribes were massacred and my last name is Murphy. All ordered by the U.S. government. Yet, Andrew Jackson's face is on the $20 bill -- like putting Hitler on our currency. Remember ALL people this weekend who were victims of terror."

It received several likes.

Something in the back of my mind told me to be just a little afraid for posting something like this because people are very patriotic especially since it has been an entire decade. About every hour this week I heard and saw something about the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

It was a terrible time. Thousands died and we are still at war. We remember that day by hosting remembrance events, bike runs, fundraisers and mass prayers.

I remember that day when I was in boarding school -- Bureau of Indian Affairs school -- and I was in the 7th grade. They took us, single file to the dormitories where we watched the towers fall in New York on a big screen TV. I was shocked and sad. I wish I could remember my view on the war back then.

Terrorists. War. Iraq. Afghanistan. Death count. Sounds familiar.

Just that one story I read on the Internet struck a cord in me: "9/11 was the worst attack on U.S. soil." What about The Long Walk of the Navajo where half of all the members of my tribe were killed. The Trail of Tears were half, even more, of the Cherokee were forced from their homes to walk impossible miles. Wounded Knee? Government issued genocide? What about the California Natives? Gold makes people crazy and makes people die. What about the death of my culture? We didn't want to be Christians in the first place and the melting pot was the worst thing that happened to this country.

And, true to my status, President Andrew Jackson was a known Indian hater and pushed such atrocities on Natives. His proud face is on our $20 bill (I think Natives should direct their efforts of getting Indian mascots out of sports to getting Jackson off our money - it's like putting Bin Laden or Hitler on the $5, very offensive).

It's not just Native Americans. What about slavery? Color oppression? Child soldiers? Human trafficking? Drug cartels? Ect.

This weekend, I am going to remember all victims of terror. We shouldn't be selfish with our sympathy and memories. Shed a tear for, and remember, all those who died shedding tears of fear and are currently living in fear all over the world.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this post Andi. Surprised myself that this view hasn't crossed my mind...ever. I have only known the feeling of being forgotten in the history books in high school as a Native/Navajo. But as the 10th Anniversary of the "Day that changed the world" passed, it is now recent history that I am feeling forgotten. Oppression, countries going hungry, drug wars and countless innocent deaths...we really shouldn't be selfish with our condolences, feelings, thoughts and tears.
    I'm saying that everyone has a history, good and bad... in reference to this 'Native View' our tribes, pueblos and Nations suffered through tragedy and in most cases are still suffering (living in a 3rd world country state) and its justified or brushed off by our U.S. Government. It makes me mad when people say, "That happened so long ago, get over it." WE WILL NEVER FORGET and its a shame that this Melting Pot of a country is the way it is leaving millions of people left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very good blog. I am a Navajo and I realize that 9/11 is similiar to what my people have gone through. I know the native indians are still going through hardships that are being ignored by the U.S Government and they promised to take care of us!

    ReplyDelete