Friday, February 24, 2012

Busy, busy

I haven’t written a blog in about a month. I don’t think I had one bored moment in that time though. Shall I take you through a typical day in the life of a writer?
I wake up around 7:30 a.m. If I am out of my room and the bathroom by 8:25 a.m. than that means that I’m doing good time and I can have breakfast. I never leave the house without breakfast anyways. This morning Dave warmed up a hot plate of leftover enchiladas for us.
Dave is my boyfriend by the way.
By 9 a.m. I’m out the door and at the office by 9:05 a.m. From there I make my way to my cubicle in the back of the newsroom where the coldest corner is. I pick up a copy of the Sun-News and read as much as I can. I check my email and get on Facebook and the Sun-News website and fill my head with current events and news from all over the world. Facebook is not banned from my workplace, it's encouraged.
I don’t like my cubicle walls. I have decorated them with an ugly black and white checkerboard paper and photos of a sheep, my Kitty, a roadrunner, a photo of a painting that I have made no connections with and another photo of my Kitty. It looks kind of childish. I wish I could find new art for that, otherwise the cubicle is gray. The only things I do like are the two thank you cards I got from readers that are hanging on those walls.
Throughout the day I talk to people. I visit with them and they tell me all about their businesses, where they learned how to cook and why they started that particular restaurant. I talk to people who take care of injured turtles, I talk to people who make business of colorful popcorn, I talk to cigar connoisseurs, I talk to people who give babies massages, I talk to people who have defeated the odds and keep fighting the good fight against diabetes, I talk to 4-year-old mountain climbers, I talk to musicians, I talk to citizens of this awesome city and I write their stories.
All of these stories are so fulfilling -- some more than others, I say. Normally I'm shy and I keep to myself most of the time. But this job allows me to meet so many people, hundreds of people. They tell me so many things about themselves, I love to hear it. Don't get me wrong though, there are some stories I would rather pass by, but they have to be done.
Deadline day is on Wednesday. All stories, each 20-inches long, or longer, have to be done and their photos sent in by the photographer or me sometimes. Often, Wednesday has been extremely busy and a little stressful. But darn it, I have been getting things in and on time.
Sometimes I have deadlines on Tuesday and Friday for other sections of the newspaper too. These, depending on the Wednesday load, make it busier or a little more stressful.
Usually around 6 p.m. I’m done – sort of – with what I needed to do and I have a definite plan of what I need to do the next day. I leave for home.
At home I change into my gym clothes and Dave and I head off to the gym. I walk a half mile on the treadmill and get on the elliptical thing for about 10 minutes. Afterwards I can bench about 75 pounds and do other weightlifting things. Then we play volleyball in one of the racquetball rooms for a good 30 minutes to an hour. Dave is getting better and I feel like I’m a much better ball handler than I was when I played in high school.
Then it’s home for some culinary genius – sort of. I make my own dough for pizzas. We make soup from scratch. I make some tasty Middle Eastern dish we simply call “shola.” We make giant lasagnas. We make salads. We make green chile “encharritos,” a cross between a burrito and an enchilada. I make stirfry. I make alfredo. We grill salmon…
By the time dinner is ready it’s probably 8:30 p.m. By 9 p.m. it’s to the couch for rest, digestion and TV time. One hour to sit and hurry up and find a good program to watch. Sometimes we even have time for a movie.
By 10 p.m. it’s time for bed – sort of. Most times I’m still watching TV and am in bed by 11 p.m.
As I have grown up and I have a grown up person’s job I have learned that lunch breaks and my time at home is precious for me. Weekends are a blessing.
It’s the weekend now and I’m going to Albuquerque with my sister and Dave to see my mom and dad. We’ll probably do some shopping, do some eating and have a whole lotta laughs. Enjoy your weekend.


  1. Now I understand why you don't have time to read books, start sewing... You're one busy lady!! Its awesome!! You have a lot to show for it and your should be proud. Be happy that its not some mundane job, where your looking at the tik-tok, clicking second had...waiting to leave your work place. YOU HAVE A COOL JOB!!!
    I totally agree now too, weekends are a blessing!!!!

  2. I'm so proud of you Andi. You are living the real world now. Your daily routine sounds busy! But like you said, the "me times" and the weekends are a blessing!