Monday, June 3, 2013

Home

I come from one-horse town called Crownpoint, N.M. It's on the eastern edge of the Navajo Nation reservation. I love it. The population is about 3,000 and it has the best tasting water I have ever put to my lips. I recently went back for vacation and I wanted to share some photos with you.


This is Crownpoint from the south. I took a hike up to Teepee Rock and this is the view from there. We have clear, blue skies with some of the most jaw-dropping sunsets.

This is on the trail to Teepee Rock. It's about 3 miles and it's very beautiful and refreshing. You're never far away from the wilderness on the reservation. 

This is a shot towards the sunset. Those hills back there are where the "Howler" lives. The Howler is a creature, like Bigfoot, that has been making scary noises for everyone in Crownpoint to hear and fear.

Our rez dog, Zoey.


What did I tell you about those clear blue skies? This is the water tower by the high school.

This is the "stew stand" at night. It's an outdoor flea market - on the moon - where we get our fast food; mutton, stew and frybread.
See?
 This is during fair time.

And the fair means rodeo!

These are some rough-looking rez dogs in Crownpoint.

Sixty miles away is one of the most popular tourist sites, Chaco Canyon. It's a 10,000-year-old collection of preserved Anasazi ruins.

Inside one of the rooms.

Clear blue skies.

 Outside my house. When fire meets the sky.
The End.

Native reservations are more beautiful than you think they are. They are full of landmarks, significant to the public or to just to us. They're clean and rural and have real character.

I hope you liked my little photo tour of Crownpoint, N.M., my home.




5 comments:

  1. The pictures are so beautiful. Love Crownpoint, my home. Thank you Andi for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my wife and I are on our way up there this 19th thu the 21th of June will be staying at the college, I have been there three times already Love the people! I told my wife she need it to go with me this time to meet the people up there. crown point is very beautiful'''' love the pic'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you visited my blog. If you have time, definitely take that hike to Teepee Rock, it's beautiful and very easy. And if you meet a Murphy, tell them you read my stuff ;)

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you visited my blog. If you have time, definitely take that hike to Teepee Rock, it's beautiful and very easy. And if you meet a Murphy, tell them you read my stuff ;)

      Delete
  3. I really love seeing these photos! Good job capturing the natural beauty of Crownpoint, NM.. my home.

    ReplyDelete